Bikes at the Library
Love riding your bike and the DC Public Library too? You are not alone - Washington, D.C. is a city filled with both book and bike lovers. Bookmark this page to find information on local bicycling resources and upcoming programs at the library - including our annual library bike ride, the Tour de DCPL.
May is National Bike Month and we like to celebrate with bicycle themed programming at the library. Remember to participate in Bike to Work Day and check with your neighborhood schools to see if they are participating in Bike to School Day.
Bike Month Partners
Thanks to our great 2014 community partners! We had wonderful programs with a wide range of bike shops and organizations.
View all National Bike Month library programs here.
- Knit a DC Flag Bike Accessory -- Monday, May 5th at 6:00PM, Southeast Neighborhood Library
- Free Bike Clinics -- Begin Saturday, May 10th from 12:00PM - 2:30PM, with the Bike House and Capitol Hill Bikes, outside Anacostia Neighborhood Library
- Can You Ride a Bike? Preschool Storytime -- Wednesday, May 14th at 10:15AM, Dorothy I. Height/Benning Neighborhood Library
- 3-D Printing for Bikes -- Thursday, May 15th at 7:00PM, Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library, Digital Commons
- Tour de DCPL Annual Bike Ride -- Saturday, May 17th at 9:00AM, Ride starts at Southeast Neighborhood Library
- Bike Communities in the District -- Thursday, May 22nd at 7:00PM, Petworth Neighborhood Library
- Library Lovers Like to Bike Kids Ride -- Saturday, May 31st at 10:00AM, Ride starts at both the Southeast and Rosedale Neighborhood Libraries and ends at Northeast Neighborhood Library
Do you bike to your neighborhood library? Whether you're headed to pick up books, go to great programs, or just use a study room, take a second to snap a photo of you and your bike at the library or reading around town.
Post your photo on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram using the hashtag #ReadRideDC and you could win prizes all month long. You can also submit your photo through this online form.
The DC Public Library system is undergoing major change, with renovated and rebuilt libraries sprouting up throughout the city. Library staff discovered a great way to explore these transformations -- by bike! The Tour de DCPL library bike ride was born in 2010. Every year, a group of library staff, advocates and community members put on their bike helmets to help the DC Public Library promote environmentally friendly transportation and explore how our libraries connect with the communities they serve.
Stay tuned for information on Tour de DCPL VI - coming in 2015.
See below for information on past rides and links to route maps:
Get your bike fix through books and films found in the DC Public Library collection - in print and online.
Here are a few to start with and for more suggestions check out our Bike and Books Pinterest Board and LibGuide!
The Enlightened Cyclist: Commuter Angst, Dangerous Drivers, and Other Obstacles on the Path to Two-Wheeled Transcendence
|Where to Bike DC |
by Matt Wittmer
The Bicycle Thief
Washington Area Bicycling Association | Your one-stop location for all things bicycle in the DC Metro region. Read up on D.C. bike laws, find your closest bike shop, figure out how to put your bike on the bus, and learn about upcoming group classes or rides.
The Bike House | The Bike House is a community-based bicycle repair cooperative in DC. Their mission is to build a place where all people can learn about, work on, and enjoy bikes!
DC Bicycle Advisory Council | The DC BAC is a group of bicyclists appointed by DC Council to advise the government on issues relevant to the cycling community.
goDCgo | From the DC Department of Transportation (DDOT): Your No. 1 resource for transportation information and options to make getting into and around the District easier than ever. Learn about Capital Bikeshare - the nation's premier bike sharing service.
WashCycle | D.C. cycling advocacy blog with links to many rider tools and resources.