If you don't feel like standing in line, and you only have books to check out, try our self check-out machine. If you are checking out CDs or DVDs, please use the staff-assisted checkout. To use the machine, scan your library card and then follow the instructions. At the end of the transaction, you can get a printout of your checked out books and have a copy e-mailed to you if your email address is on file.
Books, MP3 Playaways and Books on CD can be checked out for an initial period of 21 days.
Effective June 1, 2012, DVDs, music CDs, VHS videocassettes and LPs can be checked out for 7 days.
If there is no hold on the item, it can be renewed twice. If someone has placed a hold on your item, you may not renew it.
New Fee Policy effective Friday, April 6, 2012.
• Return item by due date -- No fee
• Item not returned in 30 days after due date -- $5 overdue fee
• Item not returned in 60 days after due date -- Lost/damaged fee
Media (CDs, DVDs, audiobooks, videocassettes) $15
• No overdue fee on children and teen items
• Lost/damaged fee will be charged on children and teen items
• Fees totaling $40.00 or more – library card blocked from checking out materials
Library users can pay fees with their Visa or MasterCard online by logging into their catalog account. Cash payments can be made at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library. Neighborhood libraries cannot accept cash payments.
You may check out a maximum of 50 books at a time, 10 DVDs and 10 CDs.
You may return borrowed items at any DC Public Library; it does not matter where you checked them out.