Heather Petsche, Librarian at Takoma Park Neighborhood Library shared these success stories:
- A young man named Denard Sims came into the Takoma Park neighborhood Library a few months ago. He had an old resume that needed to be updated and polished. After spending nearly an hour changing spacing, bullets, bolding or italicizing headings, and making sure everything was consistent, he sat back and said: "Wow, these little things really do make the difference between getting hired or not even getting [your resume] looked at."
- Alice Lyles came in and asked me to help her create a basic resume from scratch. She had a contact at a DCPS who would forward her resume, but she didn't have a resume to forward. I sat down and helped her quickly build a simple resume from a Word template. She had a lot of experience, so we were mostly formatting her resume. Later, she returned to print off a form and explained that she got the job. She was so happy she told everyone she knows about how I helped her get a job :). Alice left this note of gratitude: "To whom it may concern, I really appreciate the library at Cedar Street and I appreciate the librarian, Heather Petsche. I was looking for a job and asked the librarian for help and she assisted me very properly. I didn't have to wait long. I'm just waiting for my job clearance now. Thanks, Alice Lyles.”
Story from Bill Turner, Librarian at West End Neighborhood Library:
- Mandy was a job seeker at the branch for about a year. She would arrive as the building opened and would search for jobs using a public access computer for an hour or two, 3-4 times per week. I introduced her to the Job Seekers Portal on the DC Public Library website, which seemed to help her. I also listened to her war stories on job seeking and gave her moral support. She had several interviews and declined at least one job offer due to concerns about the employer or salary offers that couldn’t sustain her livelihood. Finally, after an interview in June she accepted a position as an administrator in a law office downtown. For Mandy, the position seemed to be a good match that paid reasonably well. Mandy thanked me for being a resource for her at the library.
Quotes from Job Seeker Support Clinics around the DC Public Library System:
- "Great concept!" --MLK Jr. Memorial Library Customer
- "The gentleman who helped me was wonderful, Thank you!" --Mr. Dennis Hammock
- "I am very pleased... I couldn't do it without your help." -MLK Jr. Memorial Library Customer