Early Literacy and School Preparedness
Published on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 8:06pm
What is early literacy? Helping your child get ready to learn to read.
What are 10 ways that DC Public Library can help you get your child ready to read?
1. Sign up your child for a library card.
2. Read to your child daily.
3. Visit the library for story hour programs/family programs.
4. Ask your child to tell you what happened in the stories that you read to them.
5. Check out CDs and DVDs with children's songs and stories.
6. Participate in the Summer Reading program.
7. Visit your library often!
8. Ask the librarian to direct you to alphabet, counting and books with shapes.
9. Sign up for one of our Mother Goose on the Loose programs.
10. Turn off the television and visit your local library to use our Early Literacy Station.