Doggie Diaries: Adventures at the Library
Published on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 4:45pm
From Chance’s Diary: Tuesday, April 19, 2011
The spotlight was on me tonight. I was the only PAL dog in attendance at the Pajama Party Story Time. My 6 lbs. of fur and I got a lot of attention!
Formerly, I was a show dog. That is until it was discovered that my teeth were less than perfect. So I retired before I turned two. During my career I won one champion point. A toothy grin to that!
I performed a few of my special tricks tonight and listened to a multitude of stories. I heard Flappy and Scrappy by Arthur Yorinks, Hip Hop Dog by Christopher Raschka, Edwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct by Mo Willems, Martha Speaks by Susan Meddaugh, Mutt Dog by Stephen Michael King, Clifford Makes the Team by Norman Bridwell and many more.
The highlight of the evening was when the firemen came to the library! I was very calm and collected. I knew just what to do when the fire alarm went off. I quietly and swiftly went outside to wait with the children and their parents until the firemen said it was safe to go back into the library.
The other extra special activity of the night was Miss Julie’s craft project. The children each made a bulldog mask, and many of the children came to show me their artistic creations. I thought that was swell! Here’s what they did:
Bulldog Mask Craft
- 1 bulldog face image
- 1 piece of card stock
- Markers, crayons, or colored pencils
- Stick glue
- Paper punch
- 2 pieces of yarn or string (each approximately 6” long)
1. Color the bulldog face.
2. Glue the face to card stock to make it sturdy.
3. Cut out the face, and cut holes for the eyes.
4. Punch one hole on each side of the dog’s face .
5. Thread one piece of yarn through one hole, and tie a knot.
6. Repeat with the second hole and piece of yarn.
7. Position mask on your face, and tie the two strings together at the back of your head.
8. Enjoy bulldog mask.