This special card is offered exclusively to educators in District of Columbia schools, childcare facilities, or home settings. It allows holders to supplement their curriculum with an abundant, ever-changing supply of books on a range of subjects and reading levels.
Privileges associated with the educator card:
- Check out a total of up to 100 children’s and young adult books.
- Borrow the books for nine weeks from any DC Public Library location.
- Visit the library to select materials, place electronic reserves or contact the librarian to gather items (3 to 5 days in advance).
- Enjoy the benefits of borrowing without overdue fines.
Here’s how it works:
- Fill out an application.
- Classroom and daycare professionals: present proof of employment by a D.C. educational facility--a letter from the principal, office administrator, school library media specialist or some other official paperwork.
- Home schooling parents: provide an official supporting document.
- Present proof of home address.
- Renew the card annually.
To ensure the availability of popular books for all users:
- There will be no renewals.
- Cards will be blocked until overdue books are returned.
- Only one copy of a title may be checked out.
- The librarian my need to limit the number of titles checked out on a particular subject.
- Damaged or lost materials should be reported to the librarian. Educators will need to replace or pay for lost or damaged items, although a small number of items per card will be waived.
It is our hope that this service will enable all of the children and teens of Washington, D.C., to experience the pleasure and information associated with access to wonderful books.