Teens of Distinction Program
The Teens of Distinction Program is DC Public Library's year-round employment program for D.C. teens. Teens of Distinction are expected to be leaders in the library and among their peers. It is an exciting program. Check out the links for more info.
- Am I eligible to apply?
- What would I be doing?
- What will I get in return?
- Where will I be working?
- How do I apply?
Am I eligible to apply?
To apply for the Teens of Distinction Program, you must:
- be a D.C. resident
- have at least a 2.5 grade point average
- be 16 to 18 years old (teens “age out” of the program when they turn 20 years old)
- be able to work 12 hours per week (*Please note, you must be able to complete at least 6 hours between Monday-Friday. It is not possible to work all-day on Saturdays.*)
- be able to commit to working at least nine months at DC Public Library
- be generally available for trainings on Saturday mornings
What would I be doing?
Teens of Distinction have a lot of tasks within the library. The basic job responsibilities are:
- Help keep our materials organized (put materials back on the shelves, etc.).
- Give great customer service by answering customers’ questions, checking out their materials, etc.
- Create and lead programs for the public.
- Get customers excited about our collections, by creating displays and marketing our materials.
- Promote the library to your peers, so more teens come to the library.
- Participate in focus groups about different topics, so we can make the library better.
What will I get in return?
All Teens of Distinction get paid $10.20 per hour. In addition to that great wage, you also:
- Learn the ins-and-outs of a library—including research tricks that will impress the pants off your teachers and professors.
- Cultivate great customer service skills that you’ll be able to apply to any other job.
- Learn how to communicate better with all kinds of people—including adults and peers.
- Get training in things like college prep, managing your money and résumé writing.
- Meet other really incredible teens from around the city.
Where would I be working?
You’ll be assigned to one library—either the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library downtown (near Gallery Place and Verizon Center), or one of the neighborhood libraries around the city. You let us know which libraries you’d prefer to work at, and we try to match you. But whether you get your first choice or not, you will be a needed part of the staff.
How do I apply?
The Teens of Distinction Program is not accepting applications at this time.