Rules of Behavior
For the safety and comfort of the public and staff, and to create an environment conducive for library business the following activities are prohibited on library property and facilities (The asterisks represent serious offenses that can result in a customer being banned immediately for 6 months or a year):
4. Sleeping, lying or placing head on tables or on the floors.
5. Distributing or posting printed materials without authorization from the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library administrative librarian or Neighborhood Library Manager.
6. Trespassing in nonpublic areas or being in the library without permission of an authorized library employee before or after library operating hours and camping on library grounds.
7. *Use or possession of illegal drugs or opened alcoholic beverages.
8. *Entering the facility without wearing shirt and/or shoes.
9. More than one large and one personal bag not exceeding total of (2) bags for each customer. The official Airport standard “carry on” size—9”x14”x22”—will be applied to the large bag.
10. *Using library restrooms for inappropriate use, e.g., bathing, shampooing, doing laundry, changing clothes.
11. *Any activity that interferes with customer or staff use of the library, including but not limited to:
- Verbally harassing others,
- Use of obscene language, or
12. Excessive noise, including loud conversation and music.
13. *Indecent exposure, sexual activity or nakedness.
14. Animals, other than service animals assisting persons with disabilities.
15. Selling, soliciting or panhandling unless authorized by Chief Librarian or designee. Authorized activities may not obstruct entrance to and exits from the library.
16. Moving library furniture or equipment without authorization from DCPL staff.
17. Blocking library entrances and aisles or interfering with the free access to building and materials.
18. Abuse of Internet Guidelines. (See Internet Guidelines).
19. Fraudulent use of other people’s library card or number for any purpose, including reserving computers.
20. *Stealing, damaging, altering or inappropriate use of library property including materials, computer hardware and software, printers, copiers, phones or other equipment.
21. *Carrying firearms and dangerous weapons of any type or items that could potentially be used as a weapon.
22. Food and beverages in the following areas: Never permitted in any designated special collection area, e.g., Black Studies Center, Washingtoniana, Children’s Illustrator Collection, and Computer Lab. May be permitted in specific announced locations by the library.
23. Speeches or sermons outside library facilities without an official permit from the Chief of Police.
24. Unattended packages, luggage or bags. The library is not responsible for lost or missing items.
25. Use of roller skates, scooters, skateboards, bicycles or other similar devices.
26. Children under age eight (8) without appropriate supervision. (See Unattended Children Policy.)
27. Children under age sixteen (16) during regular school hours [truancy] between the hours of 9:30 a.m. through 2 p.m. without parental/guardian consent. Staff will notify parent or guardian if truancy occurs [DC Official Code, Title 32-221[2001 ed.] D.C. Schools define truancy as those students who are absent from school without a valid reason (with or without parental knowledge or consent).
28. Adults and teens, age fourteen (14) and older, are restricted from children’s areas and computers. This exclusion does not apply to parents, guardians or caretakers when present with children in the area and those adults that are selecting children’s materials.