Star Collection, 1.3 Million Photos, ca. 1935-1981
Star Carriers on way to New York City from Union Station, 1957
Star Collection, © Washington Post
The Washington Post purchased the physical assets of the Washington Star newspaper when it closed in 1981. In 1982 the Post donated photographs, clippings and papers of the Star to the DC Public Library. The Post retained copyright to photographs taken by Star photographers and licensed the library to grant permissions and sell reproductions to library users. Please review information about how to obtain Image Reproductions & Permissions of photographs in this collection. You can review a copy of the permission to publish form.
The library does not have the rights and cannot grant permission for photos in the collection taken by wire services or other photographers. Please consult with the photo librarian on how to obtain permission to publish non-Star staff images.
- Demonstrations in D.C., ca 1946-1981
- Civil Rights in Washington, 1945-1981
- DC politics and civic groups, 1940s-1981
- DC Neighborhoods and architecture (photos arranged under names of churches, schools, stores, streets)
- Politicians (federal and local)
- Sports figures
See selected images in our digital galleries.