A Look at This Week...
Published on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 - 2:16am
Family Literacy Workshop
Family Literacy Projects on a Budget®
December 14, 2009, 4-6:30 p.m.
Using children’s books, the National Children’s Museum will demonstrate extensive activities for family literacy programs on a budget. Using inexpensive, recycled and found items, program providers will create literacy activities for 99 cents or less per participant. In this workshop, each attendee will make tabletop activities, handmade books and fun things for families to do at home.
The Family Literacy Projects on a Budget® workshop will focus on PACT (parent and child together), providing each participant with specific techniques to engage parents and children in conversation and learning using children’s literature.
Upon completion of this four-hour workshop, participants will be able to:
- Use the train-the-trainer toolkit to guide other program leaders by demonstrating “make and take” activities,
- Create icebreaker games and creative names tags,
- Use their collection of children’s books to plan thematic family literacy events,
- Demonstrate a variety of book-making techniques,
- Make at least 15 items using low-cost or recycled items, and
- Start a recycle collection center for activities.
Hip-Hop Poetry Slam
Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 5–7 p.m.
Ages: 12 - 17
Spoken word artists, music and refreshments. Come perform an original poem, rap, or a poem of your own choosing!
To register or for further Information, call the library at 202-541-6226.