Published on Thursday, February 2, 2012 - 11:38am
Ethiopia is so different in so many fascinating ways:
- The Ethiopian calendar has 13 months.
- The year is 2001 in Ethiopia now.
- Ethiopia's New Year is September 12.
- Christmas is Jan. 7, and gifts are not given.
- Ethiopia has 80 ethnic groups and 90 languages.
- The weather is fabulous and pleasant in the mountainous regions where most Ethiopians live.
- Ethiopians use their father's name as their "last" name.
- Coffee drinking probably originated in Ethiopia.
And did you know that Washington, D.C., has the largest Ethiopian community outside Africa? That's a good reason to check out our display on this fascinating country. Watch a video preview. The more you read about Ethiopia the more you'll want to know.