Apples, apples, apples!
Published on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 4:44pm
This past weekend, my family and I went apple picking in the Shenandoah valley. The orchard we go to is nestled in the rolling hills and soaring mountains of Virginia, with views of local wineries, soaring hawks and near silence. The smell of the fresh air is intoxicating with notes of apple, fresh grass and earth. With every turn, fresh apples are at a finger's reach, waiting to plucked and savored.
Next weekend, when you are looking for some thing fun to do, I encourage you to discover the joys of picking your own apples in Maryland as "Maryland of Opportunity" and how to "Live Passionately" in Virginia.
Before you head out, be sure to pick up some great books to help you decide what you will do with all those apples. These are a few of my favorite ones:
- Apples: A Cookbook by Robert Berkley
- Apples by Peter Wynne
- Apples by Ken Robbins
- Apples by Gail Gibbons
- The Apple Orchard by Patricia Murphy
- Apple Pie: An American Story by John T. Edge
- Apples to Applesauce by Inez Snyder
- Apples for Everyone by Jill Esbaum
- An Apple Harvest: Recipes and Orchard Lore by Frank Browning
- As American as Apple Pie: And 49 Other Delicious National Treasures by Elaine Corn