October Goodreads Book Group: Things That Go Bump in the Night
Published on Tuesday, October 2, 2012 - 10:07am
Want to join a book group, but don't have time for meetings? Are you an avid social media user as well as an avid reader? Just want to read some good books and discuss them with others?
Join our online book discussion group on Goodreads!
Goodreads is an online community of over 7 million readers. On the site, people share, rate, review, tag, recommend and organize their books. Goodreads also allows users to form groups. Each group has a virtual bookshelf for listing books of interest to the group and a space for forum-style discussions. As part of our group, we'll host monthly book discussions. Each month we’ll announce the theme (i.e. mystery, short stories, celebrity memoir) and then you choose the book you want to read and discuss.
In honor of Halloween, our October theme is "Things That Go Bump in the Night." This could include horror, less scary stories that incorporate classic Halloween costumes as characters, or non-fiction discussions of witches, ghosts, ghouls and all the rest. Below are a list of suggestions, and there are many more on the Things That Go Bump in the Night bookshelf.
Pick a book and join the discussion!
Horror and Ghost Stories
- The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
- Dark World: Into the Shadows with the Lead Investigator of the Ghost Adventure Crew by Zak Bagans
- The Shining by Stephen King
- The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
- Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
Witches, Vampires, Zombies, oh my!
- The Passage by Justin Cronin
- A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
- Zone One by Colson Whitehead
- In the Devil's Snare: The Salem Witchcraft Crisis of 1692 by Mary Beth Norton
For more information please email Kate Sigler or call 202-727-1295.