Traveling by Train
Published on Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 9:35am
Discover the beauty of steam, diesel and electric trains. On Saturday, May 11, communities across America will be celebrating National Train Day.
Did you know:
1. Some bullet trains float magnetically above the rails.
2. People who love trains are called railfans. They take vacations to go trainspotting.
3. Many train stations are called Union Station. These are stations used by different train lines.
4. National Train Day is May 11.
5. A puppy was found on a mail car in 1888. The mailmen named him Owney. He rode the mail trains and became their lucky charm.
(Trains by Amy Shields)
Get on the fast track and read about trains.
|Big Book of Trains||Freight Trains
by Donald Crews
|C is for Caboose: Riding The Rails From A to Z|
|Shark vs. Train
by Chris Burton
by Lisa Moser
by Kate Mullan
by Amy Shields
|In the Land of Milk and Honey
by Joyce Carol Thomas
|I Dream of Trains
by Angela Johnson
|Riding on Duke's Train
by Mick Carlon
If you love reading books about trains, trains, and more trains check these out!
- Trains by John Coiley (JUV 625.1 Coiley)
- Trains by Jean Coppendale (JUV 625.2 Coppendale)
- Flynn Saves the Day (JUV E Fynn)
- My Little Train by Satomi Ichikawa (JUV E Ichikawa)
- A Train Goes Clickety-Clack by Jonathan London (JUV E London)
- Bebop Express by H.L. Panahi (JUV E Panahi)
- Trains by James Prunier ( JUV 385 Prunier)
- All Aboard by Mary Lyn Ray ( JUV E Ray)
- Trenes! = Trains! by Charles Reasoner (JUV E Reasoner)
- Whoo! Whoo Goes the Train by Anne F. Rockwell (JUV E Rockwell)
- All Aboard! Passenger Trains Around the World by Karl R. Zimmerman ( JUV 385.22 Zimmerman)
- Stuck in the Mud (JUV E Stuck)
- I Love Trains by Philemon Sturges ( JUV E Sturges)
- Last Train by Gordon Titcomb ( JUV E Titcomb)
- On the Blue Comet by Rosemary Wells (JUV J Wells)
- Hey Mr. Choo-Choo Where Are You Going by Susan Wickberg (JUV E Wickberg)
Looking for more train books, please check out dclibrary.org/.