Newspapers, Magazines & Journals
Special Collections maintains current subscriptions to newspapers, magazines and journals that focus on Washington, DC. In addition, subscriptions are held for African-American magazines, journals and out-of-state local newspapers. Microfilm copies of many daily local newspapers published from 1800 to the present including African-American titles are available. A large collection of titles that focus on the Nation’s Capital, but are no longer published, are available in hard copy.
Free Access to Online ResourcesClick the links below and use your library card and PIN number to log in via the Library’s website
- The Washington Evening Star from 1852-1981, The Washington Post from 1877-present, and The Washington Times from 1990-present.
- Afro American Washington, D.C. Red Star edition from April 2006 to the present and Afro American Baltimore, Md. edition from April 2003 to the present. Both are available in full-text via the electronic database Minority Presses/Ethnic News Watch.
- Historic Black Newspapers provides full-text access to historic content from four major African American newspapers: The Chicago Defender (1909-1975), The New York Amsterdam News (1922-1993), The Atlanta Daily World (1931-2003) and The Baltimore Afro American (1893-1988).
- Many African and African American newspapers, magazines and journals are available in full-text through the library's Black Studies Online Resources.
- The Black Studies Center and Abolitionist Papers database also includes the International Index to Black Periodicals and the Index to Black Literature and other journal and newspaper titles available in full-text.
- Some historic DC newspapers have been digitized and are keyword searchable through Chronicling America Historic American Newspapers (no library card required). Coverage for Washington, D.C. publications includes the years 1864–1922. Chronicling America is a Library of Congress sponsored project that has digitized parts of local newspapers from all over the U.S.
In-House Access OnlyCurrent subscriptions in hard copy and some back issues are available. Call ahead to confirm availability for specific titles and issues by date.
- Washington, D.C. focused (includes local African American publications). Complete runs of many daily DC newspaper titles from 1800 to the present.
- Out-of-state African-American local newspapers and The Muslim Journal
- Washington, D.C. focused (includes local African American publications)