Fractured Fairy Tales
Published on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 11:16am
Have you ever wondered what happened after "happily ever after," or after the dish ran away with the spoon?
There are many picture books available that explore traditional fairy tales after the "happily ever after" ending, or offer a different point of view.
We've been having a lot of fun reading them, and exploring how we would change aspects of our favorite tales.
Some of our favorite fractured fairy tales are:
- Cinder Edna: Both Cinder Edna and Cinderella find the prince of their dreams, but only one lives happily ever after.
- The Paper Bag Princess: A feisty princess tricks a mean dragon who burned down her castle and her clothes, causing her to wear a paper bag.
- The True Story of the Three Little Pigs: Learn the wolf's point of view; he explains why he had to blow the pigs' houses down.
- The Frog Prince, Continued: The Frog Prince and princess are not living happily ever after, and he seeks the help of a witch to remedy the situation.
- The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon: The Dish and the Spoon become vaudeville stars before turning to a life of crime.
- Rubia and the Three Osos: A bilingual retelling of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" with a very different ending.
- Carmine, a Little More Red: Carmine, a painter who loves to dilly-dally, allows her dog Rufus to lead the Big Bad Wolf straight to Granny's house.
- Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf: B.B. Wolf, formerly known as Big Bad, impresses other guests at a library tea party with his politeness.