Friends Book Discussion Series
Published on Thursday, February 6, 2014 - 9:25am
The West End Library Friends is sponsoring a book discussion series titled "Sometimes Strange Meetings: Visual Art in Western Literature." The six-part series looks at some of the interesting intersections between literature and visual art in the Western tradition by engaging various ways in which art has been used in diverse literary works that range from epic poetry and comic theater, to novels , with mythological and historical -- but always fanciful -- backdrops, between antiquity and our own time.
Each discussion takes place on a Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. and is led by Ori Z. Soltes, Professor of Theology at Georgetown University. The dates and titles for the discussions are as follows:
- Jan. 15, The Iliad by Homer and The Haunted House by Plautus
- Feb. 12, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
- March 19, Summer's Lease by John Mortimer
- April 16, Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut
- May 14, Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
- June 11, Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland
Copies of the books are available at the library. Please pick 'em up and join us!