Furry, Scaly, Feathery Fun
Published on Friday, March 7, 2014 - 9:26am
From hegdehogs to potbelly pigs to parakeets to St. Bernards, family pets come in all shapes and sizes. In fact, President Calvin Coolidge had a pet raccoon named Rebecca who lived in the White House.
We love our pets. During a recent Family Fun Time at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library we celebrated pets by reading books, dancing, singing songs, and making crafts. Check these pet books out!
If you missed this Family Fun Time, no worries. We host one every week here at MLK. Children and their families are encouraged to let loose and have a ball with us. Every Saturday at 11 a.m. in the Children's Room, come prepared to laugh, play and have fun! Please call the Children's Desk at 202-727-1248 to find out the specific theme for the week.
- Cat Secrets by Jef Czekaj
- Children Make Terrible Pets by Peter Brown
- I Wanna Iguana by Karen Kaufman Orloff
- Not Norman: A Goldfish Story by Kelly Bennett
- Pet Show! by Ezra Jack Keats
- Super Guinea Pig to the Rescue by Udo Weigelt
- Bad Kitty School Daze by Nick Bruel
- Bunnicula: A Rabbit Tale of Mystery by Deborah and James Howe
- Ellie McDoodle: Best Friends Fur-ever by Ruth McNally Barshaw
- Malcolm at Midnight by W.H. Beck
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater
- A Room with a Zoo by Jules Feiffer
- Backyard Pets: Activities for Exploring Wildlife Close to Home by Carol A. Amato
- Great Pets! An Extraordinary Guide to More than 60 Usual and Unusual Family Pets by Sara Bonnett Stein
- The Incredible Life of Balto by Meghan McCarthy
- Presidential Pets: The Weird, Wacky, Little, Big, Scary, Strange Animals That Have Lived in the White House by Julia Moberg
- Wild & Wacky Pet Jokes & Riddles by Michael Pellowski