Children's Events in April
Published on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 9:05am
During the month of April, Rosedale is excited to share several special events and movie nights!
Beginning Tuesday, April 1 and ending on Tuesday, April 8, Rosedale will have its own Poetry Week to celebrate National Poetry Month. Throughout the week, children can come in and make their own cinquain or “I Am” poems using special poetry models, or choose their favorite poem to be displayed in the library! Some fun, silly poems from Shel Silverstein and others will also be included in the library's weekly story times.
- Tuesday, April 1 any time after 4:30 p.m.: Pop Up Game Night for ‘Tweens - Spontaneous (board/card/group) games will take place whenever a group of 6 or more ‘tweens have congregated. (For ages 8 to 13)
- Saturday, April 5 at 11 a.m.: Mo Willems Saturday - Back by popular demand, a Mo Willems-themed day! There will be a special story time with stories about Pigeon as well as Elephant and Piggie. Afterwards, children can watch four short films about Mo Willems’s books -- including one based on the popular The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! -- and enjoy some activity pages. There will also be a sweet treat to go!
- Monday, April 7 at 4 p.m.: More Mo in April! - Back by popular demand because the kids really do want more MO! Mo Willems authored-stories, inspired songs and activity pages with a sweet treat to go!
- Tuesday, April 8 at 4:30 p.m.: “Jazz In My Jammies!” - Tax woes making you and your family sad? You and your kids can jump into your jammies and let some jazzy beats make you glad! We’ll be reading, singing, dancing and watching videos with jazz themes. (For ages 3 - 7, , pajamas are welcome but not required!)
- Tuesday, April 22 at 4:30 p.m.: Reel Reading Book Club - In Rosedale's Reel Reading Book Club, kids read a book and then on the last Tuesday of each month they watch the movie that was inspired by the book, or the movie that inspired the book. Kids can enjoy a brief group discussion as well! For April, the selected book is Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the kids will get to vote on which movie they want to see, the 1971 version or the 2005 version!
- Tuesday, April 22 at 6 p.m.: Kids Love Karaoke - Celebrate National Karaoke Week with this program for ‘tweens (ages 9-12 years old). Have a secret dream of auditioning for American Idol or The Voice? Rosedale Library will give you the opportunity to practice and show off your vocal gifts before you get discovered!
- Wednesday, April 23 at 4 p.m.: Earth Week Game Night - To celebrate Earth Week, kids and their parents can enjoy Earth Week-themed story time, which will include Lois Ehlert's Planting a Rainbow and Victoria Kann's Emeraldalicious. Afterwards, children can play a game called the Recycling Think and Sort, or have fun with an Earth Day craft called Trash Rainbow in which children make a rainbow using recycled items!
- Saturday, April 26 at 11 a.m.: Family Story Time - Stories, songs and poems for families with children ages 7 and under.
- Saturday, April 26 at 4 p.m.: Kids Love Karaoke - Celebrate National Karaoke Week with this program for ‘tweens (ages 9-12 years old). Have a secret dream of auditioning for American Idol or The Voice? Rosedale Library will give you the opportunity to practice and show off your vocal gifts before you get discovered!
- Sunday, April 27 any time after 1:30 p.m.: Pop-Up Preschool Games - A spontaneous board and group games will take place whenever a group of 4 or more young children have congregated. (For ages 3 to 7)
- Wednesday, April 30 at 3:30 p.m.: DIA (Diversity in Action) Read-Aloud Story Time - Children will form a reading circle and choose to read aloud from our selection of Easy Readers starring popular characters like: Doc Mc Stuffins, Dora & Diego, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Kai Lan, Katie Woo and Little Bill. We will enjoy music from a variety of cultures and incorporating several languages for Diversity In Action week! DIA activity pages will also be provided and all participants will receive a free book of their choice! (For ages 5 - 9)