Résumé Writing and Cover Letter Workshop and Lab
This workshop will feature how to maximize the use of Microsoft Word résumé templates to create a dynamic résumé that sets yours apart from the thousands received by an employer. Several websites will be explored to expand your knowledge and effective use of keywords and action verbs, with an emphasis on why both are important to your résumé construction. You will also learn to compose your cover letter, so that it provides the perfect introduction to your résumé and effectively solicits an interview. Instruction in the above will occur during the first hour of the workshop and the opportunity to work on your own résumé individually will be available during second hour of Lab time.
Instructor: C. Myers
Computer Lab, Rm. 311
Required Skills: The ability to read and comprehend English well and the skills acquired in PC Basics, Word I Basics and Word II Intermediate. Please see below for required documents.
You will learn:
• Different résumé styles, e.g. chronological, functional, etc., and which one works best for your work history.
• The basic structure of résumé content and the effective use of keywords & action verbs
• The various ways to save a résumé
• Different styles of cover letters
• Essential cover letter content
• The best format for submitting or uploading a résumé and a cover letter online
Required Documents: Please bring your own flash drive with your résumé saved on it or be prepared to download your résumé from your established email account.
• If you have a paper copy of your résumé, please feel free to bring it and we will scan it into an editable format, so that you can work on it during Lab time. Please have an established email account to which your résumé can be sent.
• If you do not have a résumé at all, please bring enough information regarding your work history, education, and career goals to begin to populate a MS Word résumé template during Lab time. Please have an established email account to which your résumé can be sent.