Library Updates Make Finding Ebooks Easier
Published on Wednesday, July 9, 2014 - 4:41pm
The DC Public Library has made it easier for customers to discover the e-books, audiobooks, music and videos that people can borrow when they visit their library. Media stations are being installed at libraries citywide that let customers browse downloadable titles using touch and swipe gestures.
Powered by the Library’s digital partner OverDrive, customers can scroll through the top 100 most popular titles, new releases, titles by subject and titles by language. Specific titles can be searched using an on-screen keyboard. Excerpts of all items can be read, watched or heard. Customers can then send themselves an email, text message or scan the QR code of an item that they want to borrow.
There are several ways that customers can play or read borrowed items. The OverDrive Media Console app is available for every major desktop and mobile platform including Windows, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android Kindle and NOOK. Borrowed titles can also be read or streamed on mobile devices and computers with browsers that support HTML5 such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer.
In related news, the Library now offers dedicated digital reading rooms for children and teens that feature e-books, audiobooks, music and videos sorted by recommended age, subject and reading level. Items are also borrowed through the OverDrive Media Console. The reading rooms can be found by visiting http://overdrive.dclibrary.org/kids or http://overdrive.dclibrary.org/teens.
To Install OverDrive Digital Content from the DC Public Library.
- Download the Overdrive Media Console to your mobile device or computer.
- Launch the application.
- Open the “Home” menu in the upper left hand corner.
- Select “Add a Library” to open the "Library Finder."
- Enter “Washington DC” or the postal code in the "Search" box. Tap Search.
- Select a DC Public Library location and save it to your library list.
To Use OverDrive Digital Content.
- Launch the OverDrive Media Console app.
- Open the “Home” menu.
- Tap DC Public library from your list to go to the library's digital collection.
- Click “Sign-in” in the upper right hand corner of the DC Public Library screen.
- Enter your library card number in the “Customer ID” section.