Anatomy of a Website
Do not bring: A computer.
Do bring: Every question you ever had about the Internet and web design.
What is a website, what does it do, what doesn’t it do, and how do you make one without using Wordpress, because that’s cheating? At the end of this class, you will be able to:
- Construct a complete webpage using only index cards;
- Condense “The Complete Works of Shakespeare” into HTML;
- Code from scratch a website that would have looked really cool in 1996;
Answer big questions, such as:
- What does every webpage have in common with Scarlett Johansson?
- Why is it totally reasonable to hate Internet Explorer?
- Why is the joke about the programmer who came home with a dozen loaves of bread funny?
If you want to learn how to make a beautiful, functioning website in five minutes, this isn’t the class for you. If you want to understand what’s going on behind the scenes when you change your relationship status on Facebook, and learn all you need to know to create everything from a homepage for your cat to the next Amazon.com, this is.
Want to learn more? Read the class report from a prior session.
This class is made possible thanks to our partnership with Knowledge Commons DC.
Please pre-register for this class over at the Knowledge Commons DC website.