Benning Fact Sheet
- Open and welcoming spaces with comfortable seating and lounge chairs
- 40,000 books, DVDs, CDs, and other library materials with a capacity to hold up to 80,000
- Children’s room for storytelling and other activities
- Separate reading areas for adults, teens and children
- 32 public access computers with free Wi-Fi Internet access
- Laptops on mobile cart for personal use or computer training programs
- Large community room for up to 100 people
- Two 12-person conference rooms
- Five quiet study rooms
- Parking for 14 vehicles
- Murals by artist Rik Freeman and Lifepieces to Masterpieces
Architect: Davis Brody Bond Aedas
Size: 22,000 square feet
Cost (design and construction): $12 million
HoursMonday 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday 1 - 9 p.m.
Wednesday 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Thursday 1 - 9 p.m.
Friday 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Saturday 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Environmentally Friendly or “Green” Features
- Vegetative “green” roof
- Energy efficient lighting
- Low-flow automatic faucets
- Air hand dryers and low-flow toilets in bathrooms
- Lots of natural light and outdoor scenery
- Recycled materials in flooring, countertops and wood finishes
- Bike rack and easy access to public transportation
- Parking space for energy efficient vehicle