Benning Fact Sheet
- Open and welcoming spaces with comfortable seating and lounge chairs
- 40,000 books, DVDs, CDs, and other library materials with a capacity to hold up to 80,000
- Children’s room for storytelling and other activities
- Separate reading areas for adults, teens and children
- 32 public access computers with free Wi-Fi Internet access
- Laptops on mobile cart for personal use or computer training programs
- Large community room for up to 100 people
- Two 12-person conference rooms
- Five quiet study rooms
- Parking for 14 vehicles
- Murals by artist Rik Freeman and Lifepieces to Masterpieces
Architect: Davis Brody Bond Aedas
Size: 22,000 square feet
Cost (design and construction): $12 million
Monday 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday 1 - 9 p.m.
Wednesday 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Thursday 1 - 9 p.m.
Friday 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Saturday 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Environmentally Friendly or “Green” Features
- Vegetative “green” roof
- Energy efficient lighting
- Low-flow automatic faucets
- Air hand dryers and low-flow toilets in bathrooms
- Lots of natural light and outdoor scenery
- Recycled materials in flooring, countertops and wood finishes
- Bike rack and easy access to public transportation
- Parking space for energy efficient vehicle
The library is seeking LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. LEED, Leadership in Environmental and Energy Design, measures how energy efficient and environmentally friendly a building is. Read more about LEED.