Homework Help for State Research
Published on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 3:32pm
All DC Public Libraries own several books on individual states for homework help (Call numbers JUV 972 - 979, and 996) , as well as various useful encyclopedias, atlases, and other reference sources (General US call number is JUV 973).
Is the book you need on the state you want checked out? You might want to try Student Resource Center Gold, available online from the library, free to all DC Public Library cardholders.
To get there:
- Visit the Encyclopedias and General Reference page.
- Scroll down and select “Student Resource Center Gold.”
- If you are at home, you will need to enter your DC Public Library card number at this point.
- Enter your state name under “Search by Subject,” or scroll down to click the “Geography” button (with the globe on it) and select “United States,” and then your state.
- Articles and listings brought up will be on various aspects of your state; you may need to browse through several to find the one most useful to you.
Other useful Web sites:
State Report Information
This sub-site of the Multanomah County Library in Oregon links to many useful Web sites about various states.
Geography from Factmonster
Click on “U.S. State Profiles” or “U.S. State Maps” for your state. The District is listed as a city.
Has various commercial information about states. Does not include the District.
http://www.ipl.org/div/stateknow/ From the Internet Public Library, very basic information about states.
http://www.netstate.com/states/. Netstate is best for quick information: choose your link at the left and scroll down to your state. Symbols, People, Geography, Maps, Government, Almanac, rankings, state quarters, etc. Does not include the District.