Deanwood Library Opened June 25, 2010
A new library is part of the 63,000-square-foot aquatic and community center in the Deanwood neighborhood at 1350 49th St. N.E. The community center opened on June 25, 2010.
The 7,300-square-foot library features:
- Separate areas for children, teens and adults
- Children's story time space
- 24 computers with free WiFi Internet access
- Space for 35,000 books, CDs, DVDs and other library materials
- Early literacy workstation (computer with special software to assist children learning to read)
The library shares access to the center's multipurpose room for special library programs.
In addition to the library, the Deanwood Community Center features:
- Indoor swimming pool
- Locker rooms
- Game room
- Child care facilities
- Senior facilities
- Multipurpose rooms
The new library and community center share space for a computer lab, senior rooms, tutoring rooms and community meeting rooms. The center's design is environmentally friendly to meet LEED Silver Certification building standards.
This project was a partnership between the Deputy Mayor’s Office and the Department of Parks and Recreation and was managed by the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development.