New Watha T. Daniel/Shaw Library
The new Watha T. Daniel/Shaw Library, at 1630 7th St. NW, opened August, 2010.
The new three-level library is approximately 22,000 square feet and features a flexible design to provide inviting spaces for all.
- Separate reading areas for adults, teens and children
- Children’s program room
- 40,000 books, DVDs, CDs and other library materials; designed for 80,000 items
- 32 public access computers with free Wi-Fi Internet access
- 8 Mac computers in the teen space
- Comfortable seating for 200 customers
- Large program room for up to 100 people
- Two 12-person conference rooms
- Vending area
The new library was designed by the architecture firm of Davis Brody Bond Aedas.
Building Design Awards
The Library has received a number of awards for design excellence:
- Mid-Atlantic Construction Award of Merit, Cultural
- AIA DC Award for Merit & Presidential Citation for Sustainable Design 2010
- Urban Land Institute, Top 10 Buildings in Washington, DC 2010
- National Association of Contractors and Builders Proclamation Award 2010
- Developers & Builders Alliance Community Advancement Award, Best Developments of the Year, USA & Canada 2010
- Named by Wall Street Journal as one of the top buildings of 2010