Catalog Holds: Step-by-Step Instructions
1. Before you get started, you'll need your DC Public Library card number and your PIN in order to place a hold on materials.
2. Search the catalog to find out whether we have copies of the title you're looking for.
3. If you search query has more than one match, select a single title from the list of matches by clicking on the title.
4. If this is the title you want, click on the Place Hold link on the right-hand side of the screen.
5. You'll need to enter your customer ID (your library card barcode number) without spaces and your PIN. If you do not know your PIN, you can obtain your PIN by presenting identification at any DC Public Library service desk. (While you're at it, you might want to make sure your address information is up-to-date, including e-mail.) You'll also have to tell us where you'd like to pick the item up. Choose the most convenient library location.
6. Click on the Place Hold link.
7. If all goes well, you should see a message that says, "Hold placed."
8. When your item becomes available at the library you have chosen, we will send you an e-mail notice (if we have your e-mail address on file). Not sure if we do? Come to a library service desk with identification to update your address information!
9. Check My Account to review your hold requests.