Make Your Own Ice Cream
Published on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 5:13pm
As many of you already know, the Children's Room at the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial Library has been holding an ice cream program daily for the past few weeks. Now we are posting the recipe for anyone who either missed the program or just wants the chance to make it at home.
Impress your friends with our simple recipe!
Do-it-yourself Vanilla Ice Cream
1 cup of milk or half-and-half
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons ROCK SALT
4 cups of ice
1 sandwich-size ziplock plastic bag
1 gallon-size ziplock plastic bag plastic
* toppings of your choice
Before you start, remember to have a parent or guardian help you!
1. Open the small plastic bag and pour in the 1 cup of milk.
2. Add the 2 tbps of sugar and the 1 tsp vanilla.
3. Fasten the bag closed while trying to remove most of the air.
4. Open your large plastic bag.
5. Add all of the ice and the rock salt.
6. Place the small bag of milk into the larger bag and seal the large bag closed.
7. NOW SHAKE!
Depending on how hard and fast you shake, your dessert should be ready in about 5 - 10 minutes. If you get tired, have a friend, sibling, or parent help shake for a while. Once the ice cream is frozen, dip or pour it into your bowl. Top with your favorite treats and don't forget to share!
This is the perfect activity to do outside on a hot summer day!