Center for Accessibility
The DC Public Library, through its Center for Accessibility (formerly Adaptive Services), helps the deaf community, visually impaired, older adults, veterans and injured service people better use the library. Find more information about the DC Public Library Accommodation Statement by clicking the link.
DC Regional Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Communities
L-STAR Library Services to At-Home Readers
Adaptive Technology Program
- Descriptive Video Collection
- BARD: Downloading Digital Books and Magazines
- Inside the Beltway: A Newsletter
Library materials by mail for persons who are temporarily or permanently unable to leave their homes because of age, disability or illness.
The Adaptive Technology (AT) Program provides ATs for people who need them to access the library's programs and services. AT refers to products, devices, or equipment, used to maintain, increase, or improve the functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities.
We provide CCTVs at selected branches and divisions of the DC Public Library, and specialized as well as standard ATs in the Center for Accessibility at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library. Free training is available in the Center for Accessibility to teach the basics of using ATs. Networking events on the topic of ATs are coordinated at the library and in the D.C. area. To access more information about services provided through the Adaptive Technology Program, please visit the pages below:
- List of Adaptive Technologies (ATs)
- AT Training Program
- Saturday Technology Training Sessions bi-monthly user group
- Adaptive Services Interest Group AT professional meet-up
- AccessibilityCampDC annual Un-conference
- Adaptive Technology Tips and Hints Online AT tutorials
- Adaptive Services Internet Classroom - learn ATs on your own
- Accessibility Hackathon Project 2011
- Tech Talk Tuesdays
- iPad Accessibility Tip Sheet
- Audio-Video Archive of iPhone Sessions
- Ablegamer's Accessibility Arcade
Monday and Tuesday: 9:30 a.m.-9 p.m.
Wednesday through Saturday: 9:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.